Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Peace out Australia, Hello New Zealand




Yesterday was our last day in Australia, so I got up and was productive. I had a phone interview (for a job in Chattanooga, not Syndey. Bummer) and went for a run on Darling Harbor. After that, while Dad ate his vegemite and honey, Jake and I went to the concierge desk to see if we could get tickets to see Harry Connick Jr that night at the Opera House. The concierge checked and told us it was sold out. Then he looked at me and asked if Harry Connick Jr. was famous. Weeeell, he is playing a show at the most famous Opera House in the world. And you just told me that it was sold out. So if I was a betting woman, I would say that he was some random dude they found playing in the subway last week.

So since the show was sold out, we had all day to bum around with no plans. We walked all over, and then walked across the harbor bridge for an amazing view of the city. From there it was off to the fish market for some sushi - it was awesome! After that, being the sun loving family that we are, we went back to Bondi beach. Dad and Jake went body surfing. The waves were huge and looked rough so I figured that if I tried to body surf I would lose my life at the very most, and my bathing suit top at the very least. Which wouldn't have really mattered since it is a "European style beach" so you can go topless. But I really didn't want to risk that sunburn. And I'm with my family. Gross. After the beach we had dinner at a Thai restaurant on the water and had the best Pad Thai noodles ever (sorry Thai Smile!).

This morning we had a 5am wake up call to go to the airport and head to Christchurch, New Zealand. We checked into a cute little boutique hotel and went next door to the Irish pub for an $8 pitcher of beer!!! Thank you New Zealand!

After we got settled we headed out for dinner, which was a little different. We all went to "home hosted dinners" meaning we split up into groups and somebody who lives here came and picked us up and took us to dinner at their house. Dad, Jake, and I went to Murray and Barbara McKenzie's house. They were very nice, and it was interesting to talk to them about living in New Zealand. But Barbara's accent got me tripped up a couple of times. I was asking her about what it is like to host all these random travelers in her home, and she was telling me about the last group that came in. She said everyone in that tour group were a bunch of retards (pronounced re-TARD - like Alan says it in The Hangover). I was horrified and thought I had to have heard her wrong. But she kept on, saying that most of the people who travel around on these long tours are retards. Thankfully Dad knew what she was saying and said that yes, he would imagine they are all RETIRED people or "retireds". Then a little later, she was telling us about how she and Murray did some traveling in Pennsylvania countryside. She really loved it except for all the skanks. Hmmmm.... She said she had always wondered what the fuss was about with skanks, and she actually wanted to see some skanks. More than see a skank, she really wanted to smell one. It wasn't until she talked about running over a dead skank that I realized she was saying skunk. I think I need to do some work on understanding a New Zealand accent


1 comment: